April 21 – 30, 2017
We’ll begin our adventure with arrival on Friday afternoon/evening in Nashville. Saturday morning will be a Build Day with the Middle Tennessee Fuller Center for Housing, and then a short but scenic practice ride down the first miles of the Natchez Trace. On Sunday afternoon, we’ll embark upon our 400-mile ride down the Natchez Trace Parkway! We’ll roll into our final destination one week later at Tougaloo College in Jackson, Mississippi.
The Natchez Trace is a great route for both experienced and new cyclists…
- The entire parkway is a designated bike route, very well marked with many signs.
- The maximum speed limit for cars is 50 mph, commercial traffic is not allowed, and motorized traffic in general is very light.
- There are NO stop lights or stop signs!
- The scenery is amazing and you will not see any utility poles, billboards, and large buildings … just beautiful forests, creeks, and vistas.
- This time of year spring is bursting forth with entire fields of flowers: yellows, whites, blues and reds.
About Tougaloo College
The completion of the ride at Tougaloo College has become one of the highlights of this event. The Fuller Center’s founder, Millard Fuller, was a self-made millionaire who gave away his wealth and sought a new direction in life in the early 1960’s.
On his journey — before he ever dreamed of building homes — he served as a fundraiser for the historically African-American Tougaloo College and created a scholarship. Fifty years later, we are privileged to count Tougaloo among our friends and are continuously amazed at the love and warm welcome they give us upon our arrival.
Overall, we’ll have six biking days, with an average of 65 miles a day. Take a look at the schedule below to learn more about the daily mileage.
|Friday||4/21||Arrival:||All riders arrive between 5 and 9pm|
|Saturday||4/22||11 miles||Morning Build, Orientation and Practice Ride|
|Sunday||4/23||37 miles||Attend church, then Bike to Williamsport, TN|
|Monday||4/24||55 miles||Bike to Collinwood, TN|
|Tuesday||4/25||100 miles||Bike to Tupelo, MS|
|Wednesday||4/26||40 miles||Bike to Houston, MS|
|Thursday||4/27||Build Day||Build Day|
|Friday||4/28||76 miles||Bike to Kosciusko, MS|
|Saturday||4/29||62 miles||Bike to Tougaloo College in Jackson, MS|
|Sunday||4/30||Riders Depart (FCBA arranges cars for drive back to Nashville)|
Preparing for your ride
- Take a look at the Tools for Riders page and Frequently Asked Questions page for tips on how to prepare and to learn more about what daily life on the ride is like!
- Print and complete the required waiver.
- Check out the Packing List. Note that jerseys and t-shirts will be provided at the start of the ride!
- Tell your friends and family to follow the ride online! Share these links to our Facebook and blog:
Arrival in Nashville:
Arrive no later than at 9:00pm on Friday April 21th. If you need to arrive outside of that time frame please contact Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Trip Leader will open church doors at 5:00PM
- By 9:00pm: All riders arrive!
- Dinner will be on your own–you can either plan to eat before you arrive, or we will help arrange transportation to local restaurants for those who need it!
- 9:00pm: We will have an optional showing of the documentary film called Briars in the Cotton Patch
Sunday: Attend church… then the adventure begins!
Shipping your bike:
If you need to ship your bike please let Connor know (email@example.com). Have it shipped to our office at the following address, with arrival no later than April 17! For tips on packing and shipping check here: Ways to Ship Your Bike.
The Fuller Center for Housing
Attn: Bike Adventure
701 S Martin Luther King Blvd
Americus, GA 31719
Departure from Jackson:
We will leave Jackson early in the morning on Sunday, April 30th and plan to arrive back in Nashville by 4:00pm.
If you need a ride back to Nashville let Connor know.
If you have any questions never hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org … and don’t forget to check out our 2017 Summer Adventures!